Lara Scott

11.12.2013

Banana Walnut Milk Recipe (non-dairy)

--> This recipe really is easy enough for a three-year-old to make; in fact, my three-year-old came up with it! My son loves playing around in the kitchen, and after seeing me make enough smoothies and juices to feed the state of Texas for a year he decided that it was his turn. He loves bananas, and he loves milk, and since everyone in my family has recently gone dairy-free, this is a great drink to make. I like it straight, and it’s really good poured over cereal.  


 
 I am a big advocate of eating organic whenever possible, although you can get regular bananas since you will be peeling them. I am also a HUGE fan of farmers markets, which can save you a lot of money. If the farmer is actually there, talk to him/her and see what they are using on their crops; many farms practice organic means, but do not have the money to become officially certified organic. A CSA program (Community Supported Agriculture) is also a way to save money. With this, you sign up for produce every week from a local farm, which is delivered to you or you will pick up (most likely at a farmers market). You will get a nice big box of that week’s harvest!


Ingredients:
1 cup raw walnuts (or raw almonds, raw brazil nuts (WARNING—STRONG FLAVOR), or raw cashews)
2 cups purified water
Vanilla
Sea Salt
Cinnamon
Raw Honey, Agave Nectar (NEVER give honey to a child that is under a year old)
1 Banana, peeled and torn into chunks

Equipment:
Blender
Nut Milk Bag, Cheesecloth, or a strainer (for nut milks, the first two options work best to strain out chunks and give a creamy texture)
Measuring Cup or Big Bowl

Here’s how you do it:
1.     Soak the nuts in purified water (enough to cover them) for at least a few hours (preferably a day) on the counter.
2.     Drain and rinse the nuts in fresh water.
3.     Put the nuts, 2 cups of water, and banana in the blender and let it rip until everything looks smooth.
4.     Pour the blender contents into your nut milk bag (I like to do this over a big measuring cup), and squeeze out the excess liquid into the container.
5.     Rinse the blender, and then put the milk back in along with a dash of sea salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. I usually add about two tablespoons of honey or Agave Nectar, but you can do more or less depending on how sweet you like things.
6.     Blend one more time, and then enjoy! You can store the milk for two days in the fridge in an airtight container.

3 comments:

C.Lynn said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to try this since I don't like to do soy milk anymore and love almond milk. :)

Lara Scott said...

C. Lynn....thank you so much! Let me know how you like this. xxoo

Unknown said...

It's a delicious recipe, I love it. Thanks