Lara Scott

5.01.2016

A Guacamole Recipe For Cinco de Mayo


I love that my girl Kristin Cruz volunteered me to share this recipe! :-) I think they're going to talk about it on the MomBlab Momangeles podcast on 5/2 at 10:30a Pacific, so check out Kristin and Laura Nickerson as they talk Cinco de Mayo and lots of fun stuff for families.

GUACAMOLE

I like to make my own because I think when it is fresh it just tastes better, and I also know exactly what's in it. Take a look at a lot of guacamole that you will find at the store; there will most likely be a long list of ingredients, and possibly some that you don't recognize and/or can't pronounce. Also, when you see the word "spices" in an ingredient list, that is code for "chemicals." Get the best quality ingredients you can, as fresh herbs and produce from the farmers market will make a huge difference in the taste. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 perfectly ripe avocados
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Sea Salt (NOT table salt) to taste

My kids are little and aren't into a lot of chunky texture in their food at this point, so if we are all eating it that is all I will use and I just mix and mash up everything really well. BUT...you can also add:

1/2 of a medium sized onion, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 Romo tomatoes (seed and dice them)
(I usually toss the above 3 ingredients in my food processor and pulse them to chop)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (if you are sick, add an extra clove)

Add these to the avocado mix above and stir well! I serve with tortilla chips, on sandwiches, spread on a sheet of nori seaweed and rolled up like a burrito, and right out of the bowl on a spoon.