Lara Scott

9.09.2009

PARENTING ADVICE

If you're a (stressed out) mama-to-be like yours truly, check out this wonderful email from Lori. It blessed my day, and I know it will bless yours, too.

Lara, I was just in my car listening to the radio and I believe it was you who was asking for parenting advice? You said that you were overwhelmed this past weekend and broke down and cried. I can certainly understand how you feel. I had my first child 3 1/2 years ago and I remember the overwhelming feeling of thinking that mabey I'd gotten myself in over my head.

Each mother will eventually develop her own parenting style, so I don't know what will work best for you, but I can tell you what saved me. My husband and I began to pray together when our son was born (he spent the first 3 weeks in the hospital). As our son got better, we began to pray for guidance and wisdom; we asked God to grant us insight into his personality and how He made him--what would work best to discipline him (because not all children respond in the same way) and how we could help to shape him into the person God created him to be. Over the last few years, we have found that we come together quite often to pray over our son for various things.

My husband and I soon realized that raising a child was done best when we asked for God's help in raising him--it's too much for one or two people alone. We've taken on the mindset that there are 3 of us rasing him: me, my husband, and God. Think of it as an opportunity to embark on a spiritual journey that will take you to a new level of competence.