Lara Scott

1.08.2014

Book Review: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

If you want to start off 2014 with an amazing read, I highly recommend The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. Here's the review I posted on GoodReads:




ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY: One of the best books of the year that made me want to race through to find out what happens, but also to savor every moment, plot twist, and observation about humanity.

Someone (Benjamin Franklin?) once said that the only way for three people to keep a secret is if two of them are dead.

Someone else (Lewis B. Smedes) said that to forgive is to set a prisoner free, and to discover that the prisoner was you.

In Liane Moriarty's brilliant book, the themes of secrecy and forgiveness are explored in depth. It is a little challenging to talk about how this works out without giving anything away, so I'm not going to say anything more than that about secrets and forgiveness. :-)

For some reason, I thought that this was going to be a Chick Lit book about a husband's secret (I stay away from reviews before reading to avoid spoilers and to approach a new book without preconceptions), so I was blown away when it unfolded in all of its glorious depth.

Liane masterfully weaves together the lives and stories of three different women in a way that is believable, and you will definitely be guessing at how their paths will intersect. If you enjoy plot twists and surprises, you will love this! And keep reading all the way to the very end...one of the biggest surprises is to be found after the proper ending.

I highly recommend the audiobook of The Husband's Secret that is read by Caroline Lee, who is absolutely fantastic. The story is so good, and her read is so incredible, that I would realize I had stopped brushing my teeth mid-stroke or stopping putting the laundry away mid-fold because I was so caught up in what was happening as I listened.

WARNING: This book will break your heart. But I also think that, if you have ever lost someone you love, suffered social anxiety, had family move away, been through a breakup, wondered if the best of your life is behind you, or had a mid-life crisis, you will find The Husband's Secret cathartic. Just have a towel nearby to mop up the tears.

Are you reading something wonderful? Email and let me know all about it!