Lara Scott

4.07.2014

Two Fun Family Movies: THE NUT JOB and THE LITTLE RASCALS SAVE THE DAY



The Nut Job: I'm just a squirrel, trying to get a nut...

My four-year-old son recently fell down and hurt his lip, and after cleaning him up (so much blood everywhere!!!) I knew we needed to do something quickly to cheer him up.

I asked what I could get him, and through the tears he said, "The Nut Job." We were spending the weekend at a hotel, and he knew I had it in my bag. (Thank you, Universal Home Entertainment!)

Tucked into bed with some milk and an ice pack, we settled in. I was excited to see the movie because three of my favorite actors were in it: Will Arnett, Liam Neeson and Maya Rudolph. Their voices were in it, that is; The Nut Job is animated.

Surly the Squirrel (Arnett) gets kicked out of his squirrel pack, which is led by Raccoon (Neeson), and strikes out on his own with his buddy, Buddy (Rob Tinkler). Everyone in the fictional city the film is set in is struggling to find food, so the two friends are overjoyed when they stumble upon a nut shop run by gangsters: "We've found it! The lost city of Nutlantis!"

Surly and Buddy plan to take all the nuts in a big heist, but Andie (Katherine Heigl), from the squirrel pack in the park, finds out what they're up to and wants them to share the nuts with the whole gang. What follows is the stuff of classic caper/heist movies, including double-crossings, power grabs, chase scenes, and romance. There's even a blonde bombshell named Lana!

It was wonderful seeing my son laugh at different jokes and be so into all the action, and I always enjoy a story about unlikely heroes. The Nut Job is a fun, light film that the whole family can be nuts about!




 The Little Rascals Save the Day: Spanky, Alfalfa, and the gang are baaaaaaaacckkk!

What a treat to get to see this movie, since I was obsessed with Spanky and Darla and Petey when I was a kid. It was so much fun to share this with my little guy, who is already a fan of the "tiny kids" (as he calls the Rascals).

The amazing Doris Roberts plays Grandma, who is in danger of losing her bakery. The kids step in to try to help (even Petey the dog gets a chef hat), and hilarity ensues when they try their hand at baking a cake.  Things get more complicated when the town's rich guy and bratty kid try  to buy the bakery and Grandma turns them down.

The Rascals come up with some different ideas to help Grandma, including a pet care business, a "Taxi Kab Servis," and a talent show.

This is a sweet family movie to see, especially if you love rooting for the underdog(s). I like that my son saw a group of kids putting themselves out there to do the right thing and help someone. Plus, it was really cool to see that even after all these years, Alfalfa still has that one patch of hair sticking up (even through a bike helmet!). I asked my son why other kids should watch The Little Rascals Save The Day, and he said, "Because it's really good." And how!