Lara Scott

7.23.2014

Theater Review: ONCE at Pantages Theatre

Guy meets Girl and makes her a CD in ONCE. (Photo Credit: Joan Marcus)
 After seeing the movie Once, I sat on my couch for fifteen minutes and sobbed, unable to move. Even now, years later, if I hear even a second of the big hit song from the film, "Falling Slowly," I fall apart quickly. I was so thrilled to hear that the film had been turned into a musical, and even more excited to find out that it was coming to the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, one of the best places in town to see a show. (I wrote about the Pantages in detail in my book, From the Corner of Hollywood and diVine: Your Guide to 30 Old Hollywood-Inspired Spots in Southern California, available here.)

First of all, let me say that Once the Musical has not been turned into a huge, over-the-top production. This is not Phantom of the Opera with a giant chandelier, or Miss Saigon with the helicopter, or even Ghost the Musical with the cool LED curtains. What Once is...is lovely, funny, and charming. But I think it is good to know that it is very low-key (with lots of dim lighting on stage and a set that does not really change) before going in so you can have some tea or coffee; there were lots of people yawning around me, but it was not because they were bored! I heard lots of, "This is the greatest musical EVER!" "Beautiful!" and "Fabulous!" statements at intermission. Not that I was eavesdropping on everyone around me (I was), but the general consensus seemed to be that it was nice to watch a story unfold slowly, experience the actors creating a scene, and not be blown out of your seat with a loud orchestra.

The Pantages is an Art Deco lover's dream.

There is no orchestra at all in Once, in fact; the music is provided by the actors on stage. The whole cast is fantastic, the two leads (Stuart Ward and Dani de Waal) beyond perfection, and I have to give props to the ladies who were dancing and singing while playing violin. And they start the show a little early; there is a jam session on stage before the play even officially begins, with audience members hanging out in the pub that is the center of the action! Each song is truly something special and was warmly received by the opening night audience at the Pantages. The music and lyrics were written by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (the stars of the movie), and the book by an award-winning Irish playwright and screenwriter named Enda Walsh.

Without giving anything away if you have not seen the film...Once is not your traditional love story. Boy meets girl (or, in this case, Guy meets Girl--we never get their real names) and finds in her his muse; as the tagline on the posters say, "His music needed one thing--her." Of equal importance in the story is the message of having the courage to follow your dreams, no matter what the price, that I'm sure was especially poignant to the crowd in Hollywood, a town with a well-deserved reputation for squashing artistic dreams like bugs. I have a feeling that once will not be enough for many of us who experienced Once, and that we will be back again. And again. See this immediately!

Even the bathrooms at the Pantages are glamorous!

Once is playing at the Hollywood Pantages through August 10th. Click here for ticket info.