Lara Scott

11.14.2010

A Letter To My Son On His First Birthday




Sweet Dallas,

Last November, Mommy had our first year together all planned out.  When we would eat, sleep, play, work, etc.  It was going to be so perfect, because Mommy had thought of everything, and was really good at organizing stuff and making things happen by the sheer force of her will.

Then you were born, and all of those carefully laid plans fell apart.

Suffice it to say that your first year has been NOTHING like what I thought.  But suffice it to say that it has been infinitely more wonderful, terrifying, fun, sweet, and beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

Dallas, you are the most amazing person I have ever met, and it is my greatest blessing to be your Mommy.

Thank you for being so patient with me, and rewarding me with a smile that lights up the whole neighborhood every time I come into the room.  Can you please always stay this happy to see me? 

I promise you that this year Mommy will be with you more.  I promise to laugh more and stress less.  I promise to play more and work less.  And I promise to make lots more forts with your special lion blanket where we can hide out from the world, just the two of us, while you giggle.






Dallas, in your short life you have taught me so much.  You are kind to everyone, and you really know how to slow down, be in the moment, and enjoy life.  I love how you can look under the same pillow 50 times, and be delighted every single time you do it.  You have taught me to really laugh from my belly, and to not take myself so seriously.  Especially when I have sweet potatoes in my hair or peas all over my pants. 




I admire your courage so much!  This past year, I've seen you try so many new things, whether it was rolling over or sitting up or taking those first wobbly steps, and stick with whatever it was you were trying to master,  falling down again and again, but then getting up again and again and again.  You inspire me!

You have shown this same courage with all of the health challenges you have faced.  You maybe be only 19 pounds, but your heart and your spirit are ginormous.  You have been so much braver than Mommy!  Do you know that many, many kind people all over the world have been praying for you?  Mommy's prayer is that, as you grow, you would come to know and love a God who is watching over you even now.

Dallas, I feel blessed that, through all the hard times this past year, I have truly realized that all that matters is love.  All that matters is how we care for our family, our friends, and the people around us.  Thank you for teaching me to stick close to the people that I love, and helping me grow up in a way that would have been impossible without you.  I am so blessed to have finally gotten it through my thick skull that these days right now are the sweetest days, and to be enjoying every moment with my precious baby.

I love you to the moon and back, Dally-boo!  Happy Birthday!

Mommy

Lyrics from "The Sweetest Days"
You and I in this moment
Holding the night so close
Hanging on, still unbroken
While outside the thunder rolls
Listen now, you can hear our heartbeat
Warm against life's bitter cold

These are the days
The sweetest days we'll know