Lara Scott

3.22.2016

Do The Hard Stuff First Thing In The Morning, Part 1

Early mornings, fueled by wheatgrass, green juice, and java!


Asking for a sale. Going to the gym. Writing a book/blog/screenplay/song. Paying bills.

Whatever area or thing it is where you find yourself putting it off, and checking Facebook "just for a minute" (translation: you're on there for an hour mindlessly holding down "like" for the heart emoji) and then never getting the important stuff done...this is what you need to do first thing in your day.

Jim Rohn, an amazing business philosopher and motivational speaker, famously said, "Either you run your day or your day runs you." When we take charge of our schedule, rather than just reacting to everything and all the distractions coming at us, we benefit from the confidence that comes with feeling proud of ourselves for accomplishing what we set out to do. And then we have that magic word on our side: momentum.

In my own life, my most productive days happen when I get up early. I am talking 4 a.m. early. The night before, I write out 4-5 things that will be done first thing. When the alarm goes off, I make my coffee, have some green juice,  and get to work. This is not the time that I return emails, but when I am doing things that require a tremendous amount of focus, like researching and writing or working on big-picture stuff for my new digital coaching, design, and production company, Mouthful Media. I might do a few stretches, some meditation, and then I get myself ready for the day and wake up the kids. Rather than feeling tired, I almost buzz with energy on these days and enjoy the morning rush with breakfast and getting the kids to school because I know I have already gotten so much done.