Lara Scott

6.25.2010

THE INVISIBLE MOM MEETS THE PROVERBS 31 WOMAN

Proverbs 31


10 [c] A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


A few days ago, I found myself standing in line for a double latte when I realized that something didn't seem right.  I looked down...and realized my pants were on inside out.  Hi, ten people standing behind me.  Then I looked at Dallas, who had his shirt on backwards and dried prunes in his hair and on his ears. 

Actually, I wasn't that worried about getting some funny looks, because lately--I feel like I"m invisible. 

If you're a mom, do you ever feel like that?

On the extremely rare occasions that I straighten (and shampoo!) my hair, put on clothes without spit-up, and apply lipstick, I receive help in the bookstore.

When I"m in my sweats, hair in a messy ponytail, and struggling to balance a stroller and diaper bag while I open a door, folks can't look the other way fast enough.

And the sad part is, I used to be one of them.

When I was out with friends, if someone mentioned that they were a stay-at-home mom (SAHM), my eyes would start to glaze over while they talked about gymboree and getting a baby on a schedule.  I was mentally going over my grocery list by the time they got to sleep deprivation.

"I will never get a mom haircut, " I would proclaim to my husband on the way home. 

At this point, I barely have any hair left, after the hormonal crash and 2 chubby little hands that love nothing more than to grab my hair and pull on it like reins on a pony.  Where are the scissors?!

I am so ashamed of my attitude.  Is it because we have all been conditioned to only place value on accomplishments in the business world?  Is it because it's hard to see, day by day, the character and values we are instilling in our children?  Is it really all about the benjamins, to quote an old song?

I recently read a book by Darla Shine called Happy Housewives, and she talked about bringing back the art of homemaking, and how moms need to raise their spatulas and demand respect.  :-)

I love that visual.

The truth is, I think being a mom is the hardest job there is, because it is nonstop.  I do a lot of work from home, and trust me--when I'm in the office, that is like vacation.  I can check email when I want to!  Take a leisurely stroll down the hall for more coffee!  Have a conversation without crying in the background! 

And I don't know about you, but after 7 months, I"m still a little terrified of being left alone with my baby.  What if I trip and knock myself out?  Or something happens and I don't know what to do?

At the opposite end of the spectrum is the Proverbs 31 woman.  I remember reading a whole book on this passage before I had a baby, and I was like, "Yes, I"ll learn how to sew and make scarlet and purple  things!  And buy property!  And do lots of volunteer work with all of the free time I have when I have children!" 

I think this must have made God smile.  :-)

This lady has got the whole mom thing DOWN.  I've got the getting up while it's still dark thing down, but that's about it.

Remember that commercial?  I think it was for deodorant, but the line was, "Never let 'em see ya sweat?"   That's this gal.

I don't know if I will ever be praised in the gates of the city (What would the modern-day equivalent be?  Congress? Starbucks? TMZ.com?), but I cannot think of anything more amazing than my hubby and son calling me blessed.  And I wish that for you, too.

I think the Proverbs 31 woman can be so amazing because she is not doing all this out of her own strength, but seeking God and allowing Him to sustain her and protect her from burnout.

And we can do the same.

Every day, if we are seeking God with all our heart, we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13).  And every day, we will reflect Him a little bit more.  For me, every day I start to become more comfortable with a new definition of success, and a new way of looking at my day as successful and productive.  And I fall more in love with my hubby and my son and my new life.

 I would love to hear how being a mommy has changed you.

Aren't you glad we're not who we were?

Even if we are wearing pants that are on inside-out. 


I'm Not Who I Was by Brandon Heath
I wish you could see me now



I wish I could show you how


I'm not who i was




Used to be mad at you


A little on the hurt-side too


But i'm not who I was




Found my way around


To foriving you, sometime ago


But I never got to tell you




So..


I found us in a photograph


Saw me and I had to laugh


You know, I'm not who I was




Ooo, there you were right above me


And I wonder if you ever loved me


Just for who i was




When the pain came back again


Like a bitter friend


It was all that I could do


To keep myself from blaming you





Thinking that it's a funny thing


Figured out I can sing


Now I'm not who i was




I write about love and such


Maybe because I want it so much


I'm not who i was




I was thinkin' maybe I,


Should let you know


That I am not the same


But I never did forget your name






Hello






But the thing that I find most amazing,


The amazing grace


Is the chance to give it up


Maybe that's what love is all about


I wish you could see me now


I wish I could show you how


I'm not who i was