Lara Scott

6.02.2010

THE TWENTY-FIRST TIME


It is an honor that, being in Christian radio, we are able to partner with many ministries that are doing incredible things. Many times, though, I have come home in tears after working with them to try to raise money to feed the poor, build houses for families living in shacks in third-world countries, or provide Christmas presents for the children of prisoners and receiving a less than stellar response.

And I wonder why. Do we not care about suffering, whether it's in Africa or even right in front of us? And why am I not doing more myself?

I mean, how often have we heard or read Bible verses like this?

Proverbs 21:13
If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

That is a terrifying verse to me!

Or how about this one?

Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

And this?

Luke 16:19-25. "Now there was a certain rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, gaily living in splendor every day. And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, and longing to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs would come and lick his sores.
Now it came about that the poor man died and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. And in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far away, and Lazarus in his bosom.
And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue; for I am in agony in this flame.'
But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony...'"


I just had heart palpitations while reading this passage from Luke again.

Think about it.

What would YOU do if you woke up tomorrow morning, went out to grab the paper or load up the car, and found a homeless man slumped against your mailbox? What would be going through your mind as you took in his matted hair, the dirt smudged all over his face, and the oozing sores that were being licked by the neighbor's golden retriever?

Would you scream for the kids to get back inside and call the police?

Would you kick him and tell him to get off of your property?

Or would you invite him inside and cook him a hot breakfast?

Would you even give him the crumbs from your blueberry bran muffin, or the kids' waffles?

Although you may not wake up to a scenario this dramatic tomorrow, chances are you have many chances throughout the day to bless a Lazarus. And it may not even be that you are consciously looking away, not making eye contact (you know how it is...whatever you do...DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT, or you might have to give them money.), or ignoring someone that is in need. You might be so rushed and crazy busy that you truly don't notice. I am so guilty of that! But I wonder if my excuse that I had a ginormous to-do list and that lots of things on there "were for the Kingdom" is going to matter one day when I am standing before God and giving an account of my life and why I didn't stop for a moment to even say, "Sir, are you okay? Is there anything I can get for you?"

Check out this note I got from Char:

There is a song that mentions passing someone "for the 21st time".....what if
we do that?? Scary. I have co-workers who think I'm crazy because we work
right by a restaurant and there is always a homeless guy sitting by the
bus stop and at least once a month (I don't go out to lunch often), I will
go buy a burger, fries and drink, give it to the guy at the
bus stop and then go get my 5.00 sandwich at the fast-food place....they ask why he
gets the better lunch and I say "he doesn't eat as often".


Char, thank you for your heart, and for being willing to take time in your busy day to bless someone. I am betting that the impact of your kindness goes far beyond just lunch for this man.

The song Char referred to is by Monk and Neagle, and it's called "The Twenty-First Time." Here are some of the lyrics:

Nowhere to live, nowhere to fall
he used to have money, but he’s wasted it all.
His face is a photograph burned in my mind,
but I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time

He sleeps under stars, that’s all he can afford
His blanket's an old coat he’s had since the war
He stands on the corner of Carter and Vine
But I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time

He may be a drifter, he’s grown old and gray
But what if he’s Jesus and I walk away?
I say I’m the body and drink of the wine
but I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time

We know the verses. We hear the songs. We even sing along with the songs. So why don't we give? Why don't we stop and at least make eye contact and acknowledge the person who is in trouble?

I think we are scared. I think that it is depressing. I think that we have very real problems that we deal with every day that keep our minds busy. But I don't think that the way to help the poor in the way that we are called to is to try really hard. I think that the way to care for the poor, to love them, is to allow God to transform our heart, and our actions will then be the natural outcome of that transformation. I remember hearing Beth Moore say that, at the end of the day, we're not going to do what we think we OUGHT to do, but what we WANT to do, so she was asking God to change her "want-to."

Maybe God has changed you, and, like Brandon Heath's song, really has given you His eyes to see the worth of those around you. We would love to hear about it. Maybe you are praying for God to change you from the inside out. We would love to hear about that, and we would love to pray for you.