Lara Scott

7.02.2010

My Freedom Cost Others Their Very Lives


Have you seen this beautiful 4th of July prayer? It was written by a woman named Mary Fairchild.


Dear Lord,


There is no greater feeling of liberation than to experience this freedom from sin and death that you have provided for me through Jesus Christ. Today my heart and my soul are free to praise you. For this I am very thankful.


On this Independence Day I am reminded of all those who have sacrificed for my freedom, following the example of your Son, Jesus Christ. Let me not take my freedom, both physical and spiritual, for granted. May I always remember that my freedom was purchased with a very high price. My freedom cost others their very lives.


Lord, today, bless those who have served and continue to give their lives for my freedom. With favor and bounty meet their needs and watch over their families.


Help me to live my life in a way that glorifies you, Lord. Give me the strength to be a blessing in someone else's life today, and grant me the opportunity to lead others into the freedom that can be found in knowing Christ.


Amen

WOW!

She really captures what's in my heart, but says it so much better than I ever could.

Baby Dallas has this awesome CD called Dance Baby Dance! It's nursery rhymes set to dance beats (think Stevie B, circa 1989) and funky grooves. For example, Pop Goes The Weasel features an electric guitar and a piano solo. D starts to smile now as soon as he hears the first note, as he knows a dance party is coming. Mama knows that she will soon be losing her breath, as jumping around while holding an almost 20 pound baby is one of the best workouts there is.

Yankee Doodle is on this CD, and it always brings tears to my eyes when I hear it. It's a strange picture, as the beat is thumping, Baby D is giggling, and I am holding back tears while doing a cross between the chicken dance and the electric slide. Did I mention that I am an AMAZING dancer? :-) This has always been a song that makes feel so patriotic and just burst with pride for my country.

It also makes me realize that I MUST do a better job praying for our troops and their families.

Will you join me in this?

Pray for our troops that are maybe enjoying a last weekend with their families before they leave.

Pray for safety for our brave men and women that are fighting now.

Pray for our soldiers that are in a military hospital, maybe feeling utterly alone and totally forgotten.

Pray for those who are returning from overseas, and transitioning back into life at home.

Pray for those who are missing a mom or dad or a son or a daughter that they won't see for another year.

Pray for the families that will never again see their loved ones around the BBQ, sharing hot dogs and hugs.

I heard someone say recently that the toughest job in the military is done by the families that are left behind. If you know a military family, what could you do to bless them this weekend? Maybe bring a dish over, or mow the grass, or babysit for a young mom that is handling everything on her own.

Is there anything we could ever do, though, to properly thank a family that has made the ultimate sacrifice?

My son can grow up to be anything he wants to be and enjoy all of the wonderful freedoms we have in this country because someone gave their life for him.

My son can grow up to find freedom in Christ and eternal life because Someone gave Their life for him.

John 15:13 (New International Version)

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

We are Praying you have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend surrounded by family and friends!