Lara Scott

7.05.2010

THE ONE YOU LOVE


Angie Smith has written an incredible book on grief and joy called I Will Carry You. Please, please, please read this book.




Angie lost her baby daughter just a few hours after she was born.



She and her familiy prayed for healing from the moment baby Audrey was diagnosed in the womb with "conditions that made her incompatible with life."



Angie carried Audrey as long as she could, to 32 weeks, and then loved her a lifetime in just a few short hours.



She writes about how their prayers were answered, and Audrey was healed, just not on this earth.



And that even though she knows Audrey is with the Lord, that she has moments where she screams at God that she wants her daughter back.



Angie's faith is amazing, and reading this book made me want a closer relationship with Him. I don't want to pretend that, since I'm a Christian, I have all the answers, because the truth is that I will never understand why children die, or people get sick, or families end up on the street after working hard all their lives. I want to be able to pour out my pain and heartache and fury to Someone who can take it, and to find Him in the midst of all the craziness of life.



Even though I don't understand why things are the way they are most of the time, I do trust that God is good, and that He understands our pain better than anyone, and that somehow...some way...everything we have lost will be redeemed.



Angie also brought Scripture to life in a new way for me, and I want to share something with you that has changed the way I pray.



In a chapter called The One You Love (I named this post after it), she talks about the letter that Mary and Martha sent to Jesus that told Him their brother Lazarus was sick (you can read the story in John 11). The letter simply says, "Lord, the one you love is sick."



Angie points out that the Greek word translated Lord in this passage is kyrios and denotes sovereignty.



She also notes that they don't refer to Lazarus by name, and they don't ask Jesus to heal their brother.



They convey a need for help, but they don't ask Him to do anything specific.



Angie started to pray for her daughter in this way: Recognize who He is, tell Him the problem, and leave the rest to Him.



How hard this is to do when we are facing something where we want a specific outcome! We need to get the job, or we need the house to sell, or the diagnosis to be that we are healthy.



I cringe when I think of how easily I have tossed out Bible verses to friends that were suffering, hoping to make a painful event better by reminding them that all things work together for good, and then going on about my day and feeling like I had done my part.



From here on out, I will still be sharing verses, but I want my friends (and you, if you have shared a prayer request with me or listen to this station or read this blog, are my friend) to know that I rejoice with them, and I also grieve with them. And I don't want to try to rush anyone through what they are processing.



I want to invite you today to join me in presenting these requests to the Lord, and surrendering to Him. There aren't easy answers or quick fixes for any of these requests, so I ask you to simply stand with me before Him and wait and watch to see what He does. I have taken everyone's name out to protect their privacy, since most people ask me to share them but to take their name out. Thank you so much for praying, and for sharing your heart with me.



1. I was just listening to your show, and well, you said what can I pray for you... so here I'm, please pray for my son that find his way, he loves the Lord, he has epilepsy, doing better now, just going to church (which is good) but doing nothing else, it's like school does not make sense to him, afraid to look for a job, I wish he could see the immense possibilities that he has, even with his condition, I understand his lack of confidence but he need to improve his way of life, I know the medication is strong and make him tire, but he can try something little at the beginning and grow up one step at time. Thank you for your prayers.



2. I am 13 years old. My dad is battling a life threating disease hepititis c. In 2007 this disease almost took his life. Praise god in 2007 he got a liver transplant! But there is one issue. The disease has not gone away. He still struggles with the hepitiatis C and it has put alot of stress on our family. Because it is almost impossible for him to work my mom took on a second job. This is extremely stressful and alot of work for her. Please pray for our family especially my dad, who is struggling everyday.



3. Hi Lara...I am still looking to the Lord to meet our financial needs...it's scary but my hope and faith is resting on His promises...the light may be tiny at the end of my tunnel, but I am pressing forward with God's help.


FYI: just last Tuesday my daughter announced to us she is getting married...I know everything will work out fine..so many people are offering to help..almost everything is covered and free except for the reception stuff.....My father n law will marry them, her friend is buying the cake, my cousin will be the photographer-minimal fee, her friend is doing the video for free, a few of her friends want to give her cash to help out..praise God!! Flowers at cost and done by church friend, centerpieces made by my sis n law...whew...so much, huh??? Please keep us in prayer..