Lara Scott

7.21.2010

Reading The Bible: It Only Takes A Glance


Genesis 19:24-26




24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.



I would love for you to join me in reading through the Bible! Today is Genesis 21, and we are doing a chapter a day. I wonder when we will finish? 2013? You know, I've read through the Bible in a year in the past, but even with a few chapters at a time I found myself rushing to just get it done and check it off my ginormous to-do list. This way, I've found I really look forward to my one chapter, and I"m able to really take my time and savor it.



But seriously, why is it SO HARD (at least for me) to focus on God's Word?! It's easy for me to focus on reality tv, or watching Dallas giggle when the fan blows his one tiny curl up in the air. Why is that? Is it because His Truth is only revealed to us when He knows we are serious about seeking him?



Jeremiah 29:13

13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.



God, we are seeking you and we want to know Your heart. Please reveal yourself to us through Your Word.



In the above passage, God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah for their wickedness. If you've read this chapter, you know it's a pretty sordid story. Lot was Abraham's nephew, and he had settled there and had a family (wife and two daughters). Lot was visited by two angels who told him that God was going to destroy the city, and they warned him to take his family and get outta there, like yesterday. When Lot told his sons-in-law, they thought he was joking. The family stayed put through the night (wouldn't you have been gone by then?), and even the next morning they were hesitant about leaving. In The Message translation, it says that the angels had to grab them by the hand and lead them out of the city! The instructions were to flee, to not stop, and to not look back.



Sometimes it only takes a glance, doesn't it?



I wonder if Lot's wife was looking back to see what God's destruction looked like.



Or was she looking back with longing at her familiar home?



Maybe she was sad that she had to give up the parties and her crazy lifestyle?



I had a lot of bad habits for many years. Time and time again, I tried to ease my way out of them by cutting back here and there. But there would always come that moment where I was invited to the party or the club and I would think, "I'm doing fine. I'm strong! I can go and not indulge in anything. Besides, I haven't seen my friends in forever."



Sometimes it only takes a glance, doesn't it?



I ignored God's instructions to flee, to not stop, and to not look back. And I was destroyed, yet again.



If you are trying to change your life, is there anything that you are looking back at with longing? What are you clinging to? Even though you know that it might ultimately be the end of you.



Maybe things would have been different for Lot's wife is she really knew what or Whom she was running TO. (Maybe she did and just ignored it--I wish I were a Bible scholar! If you know the answer to this, please email or post in the comments.)



Oswald Chambers writes: The reality of God's presence is not dependent on any place, but only dependent upon the determination to set the Lord always before us.



Setting the Lord before us is not based on how we feel, but upon making a decision...the determination...to do so.



When the old temptations come calling, in the form of a friend or a bottle or anything else, will you set the Lord before you?



When you are scared about moving forward from what's comfortable and familiar, but not good for you, will you set the Lord before you?



When you feel like you are missing out on fun and exciting and new things, will you determine to set the Lord before you?



For me, it took determining that there was no going back, EVER. And I got a glimpse of what life looked like with God. It looked and felt like peace and happiness and safety.



I pray that you will get a glimpse of that, too.



Sometimes it only takes a glance, doesn't it?