Lara Scott

7.19.2010

Who AM I?


The last time I tried to sew, I was in eighth grade and it was home ec class.



The assignment was to sew a pocket onto a shirt.



I somehow not only sewed the pocket to the shirt, but the front of the shirt to the back.



During the cooking portion of the semester, I tried to take an apple pie out of the oven with my bare hands.



Suffice it to say that I got a C in that class. I"m still amazed I did that well. :-)



So, imagine my surprise recently when I found myself wanting to....SEW!



I want to make little outfits for Baby Dallas, sew curtains for his room, and turn his future artwork into a placemat. Maybe I could even create a vintage outfit for him with a pattern from the 50s! (Somebody stop me!)



Also, my husband has been saying for months that we (me) should make our own baby food. This weekend, we (me) made blueberries for Dallas, and he loved it.



I loved it, too. D got this look of delight when he tasted fresh blueberries, and then proceeded to smear them all over his mouth.



He looked like he was wearing lipstick, or (from a certain angle) like a crazy clown.



It was easy, too! He can't have cut up fruit yet (NEVER give a small child a whole blueberry!!!!! Choking Hazard!!!!), so I put 2 cups of blueberries and some water in a pan on the stove. You bring it to a boil, and then simmer for about 15 minutes or til the berries or tender. Blend that baby up and voila...dee-lish-ous mush!



Did YOU find that you suddenly wanted to be creative when you had a baby?



What are some fun projects you've done for or with your kids?



And are there any books or sites you could recommend in the Comments so that we can all start gathering twigs, fabric scraps, and items from the bulk bin to soak, sprout, and bake into yummy somethings? :-)